Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Walls are Sweating

People have always been puzzled by my love of winter. But really, I absolutely adore the cold and can hardly stand the heat. This is most likely because I start sweating like Roger Ebert as soon as the temperature gets over 70 degrees. But besides the beautiful snow and not being covered in sweat, I realized when I was back in America last month another reason why I love winter so much: It's not cold indoors.

This might not be quite a shock to you, but it's in sharp contrast of winter here. It doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does in Indiana. December through February is winter here and temperatures are from 40-60 degrees. The difference is that the temperature is the same both indoors and outdoors.

Luckily my 'permanent sweater' (as Cat used to refer to it) or my 'massive amounts of gorilla-like body hair' (as some of my friends in Fort Wayne would refer to it) keeps me about five to ten degrees warmer than most, but the vast majority of people here resort to wearing winter coats, hats, and gloves indoors during the winter.

That being said, most of the teachers' apartments have small heaters in them, but this is very unusual. In order to not isolate myself too far from the normal living conditions of most people here, I refrained from using my heater for the majority of the winter. However, a couple weeks before I left last semester I was sick of being constantly cold. My hands hadn't felt warm in months. So I decided to turn on the heater. As it turns out, it was broken and only blew cold air.

Now that I've been back, the weather here has been moderately warm and the air is extremely humid. The school building that I live in tends to keep its temperature for a long time, so indoors it's still very cool. So the cool building mixed with the warm, humid air creates condensation on everything. Right now, everything is wet. The walls are sweating are the floors are soaked. This table I'm sitting at is damp, and when I climb into bed this evening, the covers will be cold and wet. I've been told the dampness will continue for about two months, but will be joined in a couple days by perpetual rain.

I certainly hope this talk about the weather here doesn't sound like complaining. To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much, and I'm just taking it for what it is. In a couple months when I can't lift the pen off my desk without sweating a gallon, then you'll hear me complaining.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh, the irony of the heater being broken.... good story, tho' I'm sure it wasn't fun at the time :o)

~A