Friday, May 18, 2007

五月五号 (Wu Yue, Wu Hao)

The blog has been a little quiet lately. In contrast to last semester, things have been extremely busy lately. "With what?" you may ask.

Last week I put together a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta for the students. While yes, this doesn't have anything to do with English, it is a big part of American culture. (In addition, it gives me an excuse to eat Mexican food.) So last time I was passing through Hong Kong, I was able to pick up some supplies. I slaved over a hot stove to create a quasi-Mexican meal of burritos and tacos with fresh homemade salsa, taco meat, refried beans, lettuce, chili peppers, etc. We even had tortilla chips to dip in the salsa.

Because if you don't go all out on something, it's not worth doing, I made a paper mache pinata for the evening. In honor of the year of the golden pig, I shaped it in the image of a cute little piggy. Because it was my first time with paper mache, and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't break after the first hit, I didn't know exactly how thick to make it. So I really coated that sucka' with quite a few layers. So much so, that when it was time to break it open, I had to cut slits in it with a knife in order for it to break open and release it's bounty inside.

All in all, I think everyone had a pretty good time. Originally, due to its unavailability, I assumed that Chinese people don't or wouldn't like Mexican food. (Most likely due to the cheese and fresh vegetables. Both of which do not appear anywhere in Chinese cuisine). But I was pleasantly surprised as everyone certainly seemed to enjoy the food. So now I've sold the idea of Mexican food to 16 people in China. Perhaps if I'm able to convince a few hundred million more, we could get a Mexican restaurant here...

The buffet

Jason rockin' some burrito action

Me and Ms. Piggy ( I made the paper mache part of the pig, but one of the other teachers made it pretty.)

Lenny smackin' the pig as the children are on the edges of their seats for the candy.