Thursday, March 26, 2009

When Life Gives You a Sandwich Full of Dirt and Pebbles, Make Sandwichade.


It may not come as a huge surprise to those close to me that the past year of my life has been a rough one. While blame could be cast on a number of reasons or circumstances, the simplest explanation is that I just let life get to me. I simply wasn't able to brush off the daily awfulness of life that is required in order to keep moving.

A few months ago, I vowed to come out of this slump. Slowly, I have been able to pull myself out of this hole and reclaim my life. But it wasn't until this morning until I had proof that I could finally claim victory over this slump.

Running late to baseball practice, I only had time to pick up a quick sandwich from the on-campus store. I knew I wouldn't have time for lunch, so I could not skip breakfast too. Unwrapping the sandwich, I hopped on my bike. Tragically, the first bump sent my irreplaceable meal plummeting to the ground. It landed open, face down on the concrete.

Those of you familiar with the fine print of the "Three Second Rule" know that there is a clause near the bottom that makes this law of nature null and void in China. Nowhere are you allowed to eat anything that has even thought about going near the ground here. However, I was faced with a dilemma. I didn't have time to buy another one. It was either forfeit my only meal in 12 hours, or go for it.

This is the kind of thing that starts a very bad day. But I was determined. I refused to life get one over on me again. Not this time. I looked up and noticed that 3 or 4 people were watching the situation. They could tell I had a slight glimmer in my eye, and were watching in suspense whether I'd really do it.

I stood straight up, stared life in the face, and pieced my sandwich back together - pebbles and all. Hopped back on my bike, and took a huge, delicious bite as I met my onlookers gaze square in the eyes. You couldn't even taste the dirt. Simon: 1 Life: 0

I'm finally back.

7 comments:

Hoffman said...

You win my friend. You win! I also miss ya so I hope you're having a great time.

Richard said...

Did ya give them the crazy fingers afterwards?

Steve said...

I'm glad to hear that living is not a burden.

Mos and Nikou said...

Hi there,

This is a great blog of yours, Your site is very informative and I can relate to your posts. My husband and I are also EXPATs in China. I have just started my own blog: TheShanghaiExpat. Please feel free to visit and let me know what you think for a link exchange.

Cheers,
Nikou

Han said...

I'm glad you're back.

To the Moon & Back said...

Your sister and brother in law (whom I go to church with in the great Twin Cities) was telling me about your blog; this one in particular... lol great "three second rule".. I eat on the go a lot too, so sometimes, I can relate, though it happens in my car... :/

Oh Watty... said...

Your back baby