Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Parting Words

I've been meaning to sort out the past year and a half I spent in America in a splendidly articulated retro/introspective post here. While I search for deep themes to highlight, I'm left with the very last conversation I had with a stranger in America.

My flight left the next morning from Chicago at 8:00 AM, so I spent the evening with Joe, as he bartended at a cozy little Irish joint. Towards the end of the evening, one of the fine gentlemen at the bar struck up conversation with me. Eventually it came out that I was leaving in a few hours for China.

"What the fuck is in China?" He pondered out loud in a non-rhetoric, boisterous voice.

"What, indeed." I replied.

And so, has begun my quest to find out what is in China. Perhaps next time I'll have a better answer.