Monday, April 20, 2009

One haircut, please. Hold the insults.

Getting a haircut on campus is an amazingly convenient experience. The shop is located only about a 5-minute walk from my dorm, is open every night until 10:30 P.M., and costs about $1.25 for a shampoo and haircut. While only 2 people are responsible for cutting your hair at this location (instead of the 5 people required in other experiences), they do a decent job at managing my simple haircut. However, from tonight's experience, evidently you can't demand excellent customer service for this price.

As I sat down at the sink to have my hair washed, a girl wets my hair and begins:

"Wow, you have so much grey hair!"

"Yeah...I know."

(pause)

"You know, your hair really is bad."

"What do you mean, 'bad'? How is it bad?"

"It's bad because...it's just bad...look at it."

(pause)

"You've really lost a lot of hair on top, too. It's so thin!"

(laughing) "Yeah..."

"You should really take better care of your hair. It's terrible. Okay, we're done."

I move to the guy who will cut my hair. He dries off my hair a bit more, takes one look at it, and began:

"You know, you're really starting to get thin on top!"

"Yeah...she told me."

This continued for a while...

1 comment:

Han said...

Asians are often uncensored 90% of the time. My Mom tells me my face is crooked.